Year Inducted: 1999
Selected for 1999 induction into the Glengarry Sports Hall of Fame, Morlin Campbell has been a community - oriented person since his youth. Morlin was born July 14, 1922 and has lived on the family farm at Laggan since then. He attended primary school at S.S #3 West Lochiel and Secondary School in Alexandria. Growing up, he played football and hockey during his school years for local teams. He skated with the Alexandria Maroons and a Legion hockey team. He later enlisted in the SDG regiment and became a sergeant.
Following this, he enlisted in the Air Force and was called for duty in September of 1942. During this time he played hockey for an Arnprior team and also for an Uplands team. He started as a spare in the 1940s for the powerful Pine Grove Football team which was a dynasty of the 1940's.
When the Glengarry Football League was re-organized in May, 1945 (after the war years) Campbell became the secretary-treasurer of the league and capably filled the position for 24 years. In addition, he was secretary-treasurer for the local Pine Grove team. He also played goal for Pine Grove and ensured the victory for the Glengarry Championship in that year.
Continuing as goalkeeper in 1946, Campbell allowed only four goals and was runner-up for the top goalkeeper of the year award. Quoting from a 1962 Glengarry News article written by Angus H. McDonnell: “The executive of Glengarry Football is master minding the innovation of playing the coming schedule on one field and under flood lights. This has been the brainchild of Keith MacMillan, Morlin Campbell and other stalwarts for some time.”
League President Gerald Simpson, MacMillan and Campbell were appointed league trustees to deal in negotiating the purchase of the football field that has been the home grounds of the Lochiel Club.
They carried out a campaign for funds and got various people to donate materials and time. The selected field at Lochiel was obtained and the rest is history. When league play began in 1962, football was played on a lighted field, thanks in part to the work of Campbell. Now all games could be started at a later time and the entire game could be played without the curtain of darkness obscuring those valuable last minutes of play.
At the Presentation Night in 1964, Campbell announced his retirement as GSL Secretary-Treasurer. However, when the 1965 annual meeting was held, Campbell was reelected at that position. Finally at the completion of the 1967 season, Campbell ended his tenure 24 years tenure of service as secretary-treasurer.
When it came time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the GSL, a special committee was appointed and Campbell was chairperson. When the Minor Soccer League was getting started in the late 1950's, Campbell was there to help and in the 1970's he was coach of the minor soccer team. He was instrumental in setting up the Laggan Recreation Association and served on its executive for 20 years. This group was responsible for setting up a soccer field, outdoor rink and lighted tennis court. Campbell served on the executive of the Alexandria Minor Hockey Association for several years. He was secretary-treasurer of the S.S #3 West Lochiel School until amalgamation of the one-room schools into a central school at Laggan in 1969. He was Lochiel representative on the board of directors of the Glengarry memorial Hospital and also served on the Quigley Cheese Factory Board for a number of years.
He also found time to participate in other community organizations such as the Glen-Elg 200th celebration as chairperson and the schools of the Glens book project.
Now in his semi-retirement years, Campbell still lives on the Laggan farm of his youth where his son Carl now heads the business. He has two daughters, Gail Davenport of Washington D.C. and Dawn Godfrey of England, his wife Vivienne; stepdaughter Lydia and four grandchildren.
When success has been achieved the leaders must be dedicated. There is no doubt that Campbell is one of those dedicated leaders.