Monsignor Ewen John Macdonald
Year Inducted: 1984
Glengarry's greatest historian in our time was born in a pioneer home, Lochiel lot 33, north side 9th Lancaster Township road. He was christened New Year's Day 1884, in St. Finnan's Church. His given name was Ewen John. A son of Mr. and Mrs. John Macdonald.
While attending elementary and high school in Alexandria, Ewen John Macdonald was rated among the leading students and athletes. In his maturing and grand seminary study years, he was one of Glengarry's luminaries in lacrosse.
On December 10, 1910, Ewen John Macdonald was ordained to the priesthood. Five years later, 1915, Alexandria Bishop William Macdonell assigned Father Macdonald as padre of the 154th Battalion. As a result of his character and personality, regardless of faith, he became the beloved "Father Ewen" in army.
Returning to his priestly duties, Father Ewen always found time to fill the role of sportsman. He was the driving force that launched box lacrosse in Alexandria and founding of the Loch Garry game reserve.
The church hierarchy recognized Father Macdonald's skilled leadership and he was elevated to the clerical status of Monsignor. He became Vicar-General of Alexandria Diocese. There was also prestigious recognition by the Pope who conferred on him the rank of Prothonotary Apostolic.